Gluten-free recipes to prepare healthy breakfasts for Coeliacs. The breakfast of champions!
Although it sounds topical, starting the day with energy is synonymous with at least seven hours of sleep, but with eight is would be much better, an energetic breakfast and a lot of positive attitude. In Spain, one in five people suffer from coeliac disease, but this is no excuse to not prepare a healthy breakfast and start the day full of energy with delicious recipes.
Preparing a healthy breakfast for champions, even if you are coeliac is possible, and should be almost mandatory. Breakfast for a coeliac is not far from what we consider a healthy breakfast to be, in addition, these breakfasts adapted to celiacs generally provide more energy. As a general rule, they are healthier than the ones we give to the children at home, as we unthinkingly choose cereals as nutritious and they are really not recommended when we read the label.
But what is coeliac disease?
Coeliac disease is not intolerance, as many people believe. It is an autoimmune disease, which affects 1 in 5 Spaniards, which can be translated into a figure greater than 450,000 people, and it creates a total rejection of gluten, a rejection that manifests itself in a very negative way in your body. The main problem of coeliac disease is late diagnosis, there are many people who do not know they have this disease, so when detected late it can be linked to other diseases such as diabetes, so knowing and cooking healthy breakfast for coeliacs will carry more weight If we also associate it with another disease. A balanced diet, low in sugars and gluten-free, a challenge in which to emerge victorious.
Let’s cook? There are many recipes suitable for coeliac
The diagnosis of coeliac disease is the most complicated step, then you just have to adapt your cooking, and most importantly your shopping trolly! When a family member is diagnosed with coeliac disease, habits must change, and if the whole family unit joins in with that change, the adaptation will be much simpler. Prepare breakfast and snack for coeliacs and for your children, although only one of them has maybe been diagnosed, this will normalize the disease and guarantee smiles. It is also important to look for restaurants and hotels that have a gluten-free menu, and more if they have a buffet. In a hotel with a buffet, it is very important that the staff is perfectly trained and aware of what foods are gluten-free and suitable for coeliacs, regardless of whether they are labelled, so that we can be 100% sure that there is no cross-contamination between foods. In addition, we are sure to receive very good recommendations!
Celiac breakfasts have a wide range of possibilities, and offer very healthy options in which fruit, yogurts or even eggs are introduced, instead of industrial pastries. Although don’t worry, there are gluten-free breakfasts with pastries and buns for those passionate about sweet things, although made with cornmeal or oatmeal, which is the queen of healthy breakfasts for coeliacs and athletes, a more recommended and healthy option.
Healthy breakfasts with fruit
Children love colourful breakfasts. Fruit has a high fibre content, which is an extremely necessary element, considering that many other high fibre foods contain gluten. The seasonal fruit is perfect for healthy breakfasts for coeliacs. Count on fruits with a lot of colour, such as strawberries, kiwi or even mango and papaya, added to a Greek yogurt or, if breakfast is for a teenager, who wants to be inventive, then you could choose kefir, a dairy that is High in calcium, protein and vitamin B12. With the fruit and dairy chosen, add muesli, this is super energetic, rich and crispy, a 10 to start the morning.
- Three medium strawberries
- A Greek yogurt
- A handful -approx. 50 grams- of muesli
- Wash the fruit well. Peel the kiwi and dice it into small pieces. Do the same with the strawberries.
- Pour the Greek yogurt into a bowl.
- Add a handful of muesli.
- Put the fruit on top of the muesli, which will give it color and will tempt the appetite of the diner.
Breakfasts with gluten-free pastries
Children are children, regardless of whether or not they have coeliac disease. This is a breakfast to surprise young and old. Have you tried muffins with oatmeal and cinnamon? We all like a sweet touch to welcome the morning. Count on homemade pastries. With banana, chocolate chips or even with blueberries, anything goes, to give a most desired touch in the morning, a cupcake with a glass of milk with 100% pure nonfat cocoa.
- Gluten free oatmeal (two tablespoons)
- Baking powder (one tablespoon)
- A pinch of salt
- Tofu (11g)
- Vegetable margarine (half a cup)
- A cup of brown sugar
- Cinnamon (one tablespoon mixed with white sugar)
- Chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, mix the oatmeal, salt and cinnamon.
- In the blender put the tofu, butter, sugar and yeast and mix it until you see that the dough remains uniform.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Using a muffin tin, pour the dough and sprinkle the cinnamon with the sugar and add a few chocolate chips.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180º and bake the muffins. The cooking time will depend on the type of oven, the recommended time is around 20 minutes.
- Prepare the rest, to compliment it and enjoy your breakfast!
Gluten free breakfasts around the world
The weekend is the moment to enjoy free time and breakfast calmly, homemade and with a lot of flavor. Prepare healthy gluten-free breakfasts, without getting bored!
We all like pancakes. Toast with ham and tomato are a must, but moving the palate to deep America is not a bad idea. Pancakes can become perfect gluten-free breakfasts and snacks, and the best of it is, if you don't comment that they don't have gluten, nobody has to know.
- Oatmeal flour (150g) You can also use some oatmeal and pass it through the chopper to refine them
- Two medium size eggs
- Skimmed milk, 250ml
- 50g of butter
- Two ripe bananas
- Mix the flour, the two eggs, milk, butter and one of the two bananas, cut into large pieces in a bowl.
- Beat together until you get a nice liquid dough.
- Pre heat the pan.
- Grease the pan with a little butter and pour in a ladle of the mixture.
- Once it is cooked, flip it and cook the other side.
- Flatten the pancakes, add sliced banana and a drizzle of honey.
- There will be nothing left on the plate.
Breakfasts for athletes with coeliac disease
The 21st century has brought a new generation, with a colorful shirt and trainers, that some of us call runners. Coeliac athletes also exist, and therefore it is necessary to have ideas for breakfast for celiac athletes, an extra contribution of energy to help them cross the finish line and at the same time help them face their illness. Carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and fibre come together in a flavourful cocktail to meet the challenge.
- Buckwheat bread approx.60g
- Two large eggs
- 100g of seasonal vegetables (whichever you prefer)
- 200 ml of skimmed milk
- One banana
- 60g of oatmeal
- 1 medium scoop of 100% pure non-fat cocoa
- A pinch of salt
- Olive oil
- Cut the vegetables, to taste, and sauté them in a pan with a drop of olive oil. Add salt to taste then put them to one side.
- Beat the eggs, put a pinch of salt, then using the same pan, cook them well as you would an omelette or scrambled eggs.
- Cut the bread and heat it as you like it.
- Add the milk, oatmeal, banana and a tablespoon of cocoa to the blender and mix.
- The breakfast of champions is served.
Healthy breakfasts suitable for coeliacs, encouraging smiles
With a happy stomach it is much easier to face the morning with a smile. Celiac disease is not a choice, but how to deal with it day to day is. Breakfast, either at home or abroad, should be an obligation, and more so considering that during the day a celiac is faced with the challenge of finding places to eat where they offer a gluten free option.
Another challenge to overcome is traveling. Finding the best destination and perfect accommodation, in terms of comfort and with a good buffet offer, adapted to breakfast and gluten-free meals is not easy. In Servigroup we are fully aware of this and we have more than a dozen hotels spread across the Mediterranean coast, that have a buffet breakfast with gluten-free food. A gluten free option perfect for worry-free travel and enjoy the most important, a breakfast of champions to enjoy your holiday to the fullest.
Helping your vacations to not become a headache! Find your ideal hotel, and start enjoying yourself.