10 things you can’t miss during the Benidorm Fiestas
Benidorm is known worldwide for its beautiful beaches, good weather and all the lively entertainment that makes Benidorm the 'fun' place-in-the-sun to be. Benidorm has a busy calender of “fiestas”, with the highlight being Benidorm fiestas in November.
The annual Benidorm fiestas in honour of the towns patron Saint Virgen del Suffrage and St. James the Apostle, always commence on Friday of the second weekend in November. Here are 10 reasons why they shouldn’t be missed:
1. The Comedy parade. Benidorm” Peñas” groups star in the parade of humor, an important symbol in recent years and in which irony and sarcasm criticize the local and national political scene Not to missed ,we recommend you take a place along the calle Ruzafa, although the jury is usually placed in the calle Gambo, this all takes place on Tuesday.
2. The staging of the Finding of the Virgin of the Suffrage. Declared of tourist interest in the Valencian Community. Since the discovery of the Virgin 275 years ago,legend has it that a ship was washed up on the local shore during a terrible storm. Not knowing where the ship had come from some of the locals decided to burn it, in the ashes that remained they saw an image of the Virgin which they took to church where a small chapel was built in her honour. An reenactment of this is staged on the Poniente beach, on Saturday at 17: 00h.
3. The offering of flowers. After the staging of the discovery of the Virgin, the Peñas of Benidorm, the Queen and her ladies of the parties, the bands of music, and the authorities of the fiestas depart in procession carrying the Virgin to Saint Jaime and Saint Anna parish churches. Upon arrival at the doors of the church, an emotional offering of flowers to the Virgin of the Suffrage is carried out, this act brings together hundreds of locals from Benidorm each year.
4. The concerts. Where there is partying and guaranteed fun with DJ´s, bands and famous music groups which start from midnight on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The proceedings usually take place in the streets of Gambo, L'Hort of Colon, and the Julio Iglesias auditorium.
5. The floats of the Parade. On Wednesday,the last day of the fiesta at 5:30pm each Peña of the fiesta has their own float and they put on their finest clothes and they distribute gifts among the children. They travel through the streets of Almedros, Mars, Venus, Ruzafa, Martinez Alejos and Gambo.
6. The great firework castle. As a finishing touch to complete the fiestas, on Wednesday evening after the parade of the floats begins the traditional fireworks display with the sea as natural backdrop. It can be witnessed from the walkway along the seafront in the Poniente beach area.
7. Visit to the Peñas. They are the heart and soul of the fiestas and without them it would not be possible to have the festive atmosphere for those present, so it is well worth a visit to savour the fiesta. The "peñas", are usually groups of friends who all enjoy partying, good music and all want to generally have a good time.
8. Visit to the fair. You cannot miss at Christmas the traditional fun fair, which is located on the concourse just behind the bullring, parallel to the Avenida Beniardá. Friday has popular prices and you can ride the major attractions for only 1 euro.
9. Children's activities. Fun for the youngsters on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday from 11am to 2pm in the "amusement park" located in the Paseo Colon, in the area of the port, and on Wednesdays at the same time in the square next to the Town Hall (SSMM Los Reyes de España).
10. The Rock Bars. Between the parades, fireworks and offerings, we recommend that you escape to take a few beers and enjoy live music in one of the famous rock pubs. On the beachfront of Levante beach we recommend the "Heartbreak", which stands out for its good music and its great atmosphere during the day and night.
In the course of the year in Benidorm, different festivities represent a national overview, and given the geographical diversity of its inhabitants, everyone may enjoy all kinds of celebrations like "San Fermin, Fallas, Hogueras(bonfires), Moors and Christians, the Grape Harvest Festivals, the Roser, the Creueta, Carxofa, and lots more.
At Servigroup we have every point covered, the best accommodation with nine hotels in Benidorm, an excellent gastronomy, the best service and the best parties… you can´t expect more so come and have fun with us.